Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too many repeats?

+5
CallMePie
Octan
Brickfoot7
Henri da Flipper
professor flitwick
9 posters

:: Themes :: Star Wars

Go down

Too many repeats? Empty Too many repeats?

Post by professor flitwick 9/23/2010, 9:36 pm

Firstly let me say, I do quite enjoy this theme. Whilst it has been a while since I have brought a set, I can admire the wonderful creations TLC has made for the theme, and the amount of characters and detail in them can sometimes verge on staggering.

But isn't it all becoming too repetitive? Four Slave ones? Three Millennium Falcons? Eleven different types of TIE fighters (I can understand there are varieties, but the only one that really seems different is the TIE Crawler)? I can understand how that kids getting into the theme have missed out, but can't they just make do with all these new sets? For instance I'd love the monorail set from the old Town theme, but to TLC re-release it for the next generations of Lego fans to enjoy? No, as it would be just wasting a space in the wave of a theme. It is a great relic for the AFOLs of today who were collecting then, and how I feel these old Star Wars sets should remain.

So, do you agree with the ramblings of an old professor? Or do you disagree right out?
professor flitwick
professor flitwick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Too many repeats? Empty Re: Too many repeats?

Post by Henri da Flipper 9/23/2010, 9:42 pm

professor flitwick wrote:Firstly let me say, I do quite enjoy this theme. Whilst it has been a while since I have brought a set, I can admire the wonderful creations TLC has made for the theme, and the amount of characters and detail in them can sometimes verge on staggering.

But isn't it all becoming too repetitive? Four Slave ones? Three Millennium Falcons? Eleven different types of TIE fighters (I can understand there are varieties, but the only one that really seems different is the TIE Crawler)? I can understand how that kids getting into the theme have missed out, but can't they just make do with all these new sets? For instance I'd love the monorail set from the old Town theme, but to TLC re-release it for the next generations of Lego fans to enjoy? No, as it would be just wasting a space in the wave of a theme. It is a great relic for the AFOLs of today who were collecting then, and how I feel these old Star Wars sets should remain.

So, do you agree with the ramblings of an old professor? Or do you disagree right out?

Sorry for not agreening with you, professor, but I personally think that it's good that they are trying to keep it alive, and having missed out on all falcons I can honestly say that they haven't made enough.

Star Wars is a great theme, and if they keep re-releasing this sets(of course greatly upgraded) it will atract more kids that either come out of their dark ages or are influenced bytheir parents to play with the spaceships that they remeber so well, while sharing some quality building time, after all that is the main message that lego tries to send and it's what these bricks are about.

Cheers.

By- (acoording to Brickfoot7) The worst speller in Hufflepuff...

P.s: you oght to introduce yourself in the new members subforum and join Harry Potter month by changing your avatar to something Harry Potter themed(which if I recall won't be necessary do to it already being HP themed...) so I hope to hear alot more out of your rambling mind and into the awkard machine that the muggles call a computer.
Henri da Flipper
Henri da Flipper
Senior Colonel
Senior Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Brickfoot7 9/23/2010, 9:52 pm

I agree I wish they would not make repeats unless they are UCS.
Brickfoot7
Brickfoot7
Red Baron
Red Baron

Back to top Go down

Post by professor flitwick 9/23/2010, 9:59 pm

blhc11 the great wrote:
Sorry for not agreening with you, professor, but I personally think that it's good that they are trying to keep it alive, and having missed out on all falcons I can honestly say that they haven't made enough.

Star Wars is a great theme, and if they keep re-releasing this sets(of course greatly upgraded) it will atract more kids that either come out of their dark ages or are influenced bytheir parents to play with the spaceships that they remeber so well, while sharing some quality building time, after all that is the main message that lego tries to send and it's what these bricks are about.

Cheers.

No need to apologies, your entitled to your opinion! Grin I can see how one new to a theme would like repeats, I must say I'd prefer to see TLC concentrate on new sets (especially now during the Clone Wars releases, as we've seen old sets getting remade in a blue coat of paint), whilst Bricklink and eBay could supply people with old sets.

blhc11 the great wrote:

By- (acoording to Brickfoot7) The worst speller in Hufflepuff...

P.s: you oght to introduce yourself in the new members subforum and join Harry Potter month by changing your avatar to something Harry Potter themed(which if I recall won't be necessary do to it already being HP themed...) so I hope to hear alot more out of your rambling mind and into the awkard machine that the muggles call a computer.

I have just made my thread there, and will help to celebrate this new theme month of Magic! Thumbs Up

Brickfoot7 wrote:I agree I wish they would not make repeats unless they are UCS.

True, I left them out of the counting as they are so vastly different in size, they can't really be counted as remakes.
professor flitwick
professor flitwick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Henri da Flipper 9/23/2010, 10:03 pm

Brickfoot7 wrote:I agree I wish they would not make repeats unless they are UCS.

I'm sorry but I really need to say that that idea is stupid(and I'm an Hufflepuff, so I know what stupid is...), what parents would buy their kids a 300-500 dollar set that isn't even playable?

The UCS sets are made for adults, they are not ment to be played with, that's why there are so few UCS sets, they should probably just re-make some veichles from the OT and make some form the CW, for each new year.

Cheers.
Henri da Flipper
Henri da Flipper
Senior Colonel
Senior Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Octan 9/23/2010, 10:06 pm

I agree 100%. I think this started in 07', I would be a buy them if I didn't already have twenty of them! Angry

Octan

Last edited by Octan on 9/23/2010, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Octan
Octan
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMePie 9/23/2010, 10:46 pm

They're only doing repeats of outdate sets, methinks. Arc-170 and Slave I, you got me there. But as for the Millennium Falcon, UCS is quite different, and the last one came out 6 years ago. For TIE Fighters, there's a huge difference between the models.
CallMePie
CallMePie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by professor flitwick 9/23/2010, 10:51 pm

CallMePie wrote:They're only doing repeats of outdate sets, methinks. Arc-170 and Slave I, you got me there. But as for the Millennium Falcon, UCS is quite different, and the last one came out 6 years ago. For TIE Fighters, there's a huge difference between the models.

I suppose to the more trained EU eye they may seem different, but to light-hearted/casual fans like me (and presumedly others, including children who don't have a wide amount of knowledge on these vehicles), we may get confused between the similarities of the TIEs.
professor flitwick
professor flitwick
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by CallMePie 9/23/2010, 10:57 pm

professor flitwick wrote:
CallMePie wrote:They're only doing repeats of outdate sets, methinks. Arc-170 and Slave I, you got me there. But as for the Millennium Falcon, UCS is quite different, and the last one came out 6 years ago. For TIE Fighters, there's a huge difference between the models.

I suppose to the more trained EU eye they may seem different, but to light-hearted/casual fans like me (and presumedly others, including children who don't have a wide amount of knowledge on these vehicles), we may get confused between the similarities of the TIEs.

Open 2 windows, one with a TIE Fighter model on it, the other with the new TIE Defender, and I guarentee you will see the difference. Tongue 2 Defender has 2 massive wings, each split in 2, and each shaped like a triangle, with a gray and black color scheme.
The latest TIE Fighter, however, has only 2 large square wings with a black and blue color scheme.
CallMePie
CallMePie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by The Breakdown 9/26/2010, 6:29 pm

I like them and don't like them 50-50. I like this because, for example, I didn't get into LEGO before, and I wanted an ARC-170, and I got it this year! So I like it when you miss out on it, you can get the second version. I don't like this because, I would spend 20 on an old AT-ST, and sure enough, 3 years later they release another in a set I'm getting (Battle of Endor), but it wasn't that bad, but another example (I can only explain things via examples) is when you spend 150 bucks on an old Slave I, and 1 year later, you could've gotten one for 80! So you waste 70 bucks. That's another reason that I don't like it.
The Breakdown
The Breakdown

Location : I don't think I'm on Cybertron anymore, oh wait, I never was.

http://www.thebrickhope.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Wacky 9/26/2010, 6:58 pm

I don't care if they repeat sets, Sure right now I have three slave I's in my room but there cool. (The slave I's are the only sets that I never destroy for parts, By far the coolest star wars ship.)

Wacky
Banned
Banned

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirwacky/

Back to top Go down

Post by Brickfoot7 9/26/2010, 7:15 pm

Wacky wrote:I don't care if they repeat sets, Sure right now I have three slave I's in my room but there cool. (The slave I's are the only sets that I never destroy for parts, By far the coolest star wars ship.)
IMO they should make an ultimate collector series version of the slave I I would have to get it.
Brickfoot7
Brickfoot7
Red Baron
Red Baron

Back to top Go down

Post by The Breakdown 9/27/2010, 1:12 pm

I would want another! Slave I's are too much already! And it can't really get any bigger than the real sets if it's minifig-scaled.
The Breakdown
The Breakdown

Location : I don't think I'm on Cybertron anymore, oh wait, I never was.

http://www.thebrickhope.com

Back to top Go down

Too many repeats? Empty TOO many repeats

Post by Castlehill 10/29/2010, 3:35 am

I must say I have enjoyed the lego star wars theme. But yes I agree, has lego run out of ideas?
First of all I'm sick of seeing the same old sets, just redone with maybe a few extra pieces, minifigs
or a slight change in the original design. There have been too many tie fighters, too many jedi
starfighters... There is a lot more I could name. Another thing I'm sick of is the price. $79.00 aud
for 297 pieces??? (Hoth Wampa Cave) A couple of years ago you could get something like that for $30.00. And Cad Bane's
Speeder! Don't get me started on that! I understand that they have some decent minfigs, but the
piece count is pathetic. WEAK! WEAK! WEAK! And what's this Slave I for... $150 and only 573 pieces???
I don't think lego knows the meaning of cheap. I understand that the pieces are expensive to make, but still...

So unless lego brings out some decent new ships for a decent price, the theme should stop. Angry

Castlehill
Castlehill
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Too many repeats? Empty It's not all THAT bad..

Post by General Magma 10/29/2010, 6:31 pm

There are several reasons behind the repeats made by TLG for sets, including my own opinions on things that just don't make it seem so bad:
1) To keep it alive, and thus to earn more money
2) It isn't that bad, because so many people miss out on so many sets... not everyone has money to buy every set, so a re-release is a nice way of still having a chance to get that set. Even though it would be slighty, or perhaps even alot different.
3) It gives TLG the opportunity to add something new, i.e. updated versions of minifigs, or completely new ones.
4) Re-releases are also done for the new generation of kids, when the older versions have been discontinued.

This theme should go on forever.
If you're a huge Star Wars fan like me, you wouldn't want to see this theme go either...

~ General Magma

General Magma
General Magma
Baron
Baron

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Themes :: Star Wars

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum