Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Octan- The Book

4 posters

Go down

Octan- The Book Empty Octan- The Book

Post by Octan 4/19/2011, 9:43 pm

Following in the footsteps of The Empire, here is a little more about me. Please excuse any spelling mistakes, this was typed on my IPad, also I am not sure all of this info is right... This is how I remember it.

Starting Lego-
My Parents, after hearing I was going to be a boy, went to Toys R Us and purchased 30 sets, none of these where duplo. So by the time I was one, I could open the box and the bags and build any set that was in the 8-12 age bracket. At two I had just about 20,000 bricks, my parents bought me so much during that year, about ¼ of my total collection. When I was three, I showed interest in my dads C++ coding, so he let me use his computer [by this time I could use the internet well...] to look at MindStorms RCX 1.0. We stumbled on a site that showed a lego pirate ship that was powered by RCX, and had a foam hull.... The next Christmas I received two RCXs, and by Christmas night I knew the software in and out and build most of the models in the book. At four I discovered the Megablocks Dragon line, and gave up lego [my first dark age].

Megablocks-
When my parents told me I could have more megablocks sets then I would 'Legoes' [because of the price] I went online and saw these amazing sets that most were taller then I was [I was really short], I was amazed and boxed-up all my lego and put it in the basement. I stayed with Megablocks until I was seven, during this time I lost all skill in lego building....

Back to Lego-
I started back with lego as my friends were just starting, I was about eight buy the time I was back on the Lego Wagon... My parents found flickr and made me an account, thinking I was going to empress someone, I googled something like “the most amazing legos ever” and downloaded the images and re-uploaded then with titles like “Something I made this weekend!!1!”. I was quickly told that I was a swipper and my account was reported and my account was deleted... I thought they just had something against me and entered my second dark age....

Train Time-
My Grandfather passed before I was born, but he did have a major impact on my life... I was named after him, William. He was a professional magician and also loved HO scale model trains. When I was born, my Grandmother gave me his collection of over 200 trains. My dad taught me how to build a lay-out, Use Plaster, Wire Electronics, and more importantly sparked a love of sculpture in me, that is with me until this day...

War-Hammer-
I quickly found War-Hammer 40,000®️ interested me a lot more then trains and started playing. I got my parents to buy me a few Orks from a local Hobbytown, and we soon found a local game store. I built a really big army of Orks, and a smaller one of Space Marines... I still did not learn how to play and when I went to a “game-night” I was quickly kicked out by all the adults because I had no Idea what I was talking about [Which is true]. I boxed up my armies and put them in the basement and took out my Lego, again.

On to Lego, for the third time!-

I started really getting into lego, much more then I ever had before. By the time I was eleven I eat, drank, and slept lego... I remember writing in my journal [Yes, I do keep a journal...] about how I don't get what else there is to think about then Lego... I started shadowing EuroBricks, and I was amazed how everyone was so grown up [I wanted to be like then ]. So I joined ignoring the age rule and did well until I posted this in a sign up topic:
“I am pm me please ps I have a dslr camra”
And I quickly got shot down [I left soon after] and joined Flickr and then Brick-Busters to try to make up for what I did when I was younger... I soon went back to EB, because I soon got bored of flickr. I started posting better and stayed for a while... Until I saw under Burmans posts [It may have been JCC.] a link to The Brick Hope. I was fed up with other forums and opened up a word Document and made an identity, here is what I had:

John Edjers
19 years old
Design Student

I quickly joined and found The Empire was twelve and a Mod so I changed it to my real age, JCC questioned me and I said I thought 'Because I was young, I would get no respect [as shown to me by other Forums]'. On my first day I had made 53 posts, posting in every topic I could find. By the end the that week, I was a Baron... Things happened, I became a guard. Soon after I became I mod... TBH has been the stepping stone for me, I soon joined many other sites... TBH has served me well and I hope I contribute equal to what TBH gave me.... I see a bright future for The Brick Hope, hope to spend it with all of you.

Thanks for reading,
Octan
Classic Smile

Last edited by Octan on 10/29/2011, 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Octan
Octan
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Octan- The Book Empty Re: Octan- The Book

Post by Henri da Flipper 4/19/2011, 10:10 pm

It's not so much a book as a long page Tongue 3

I like this, mine isn't so much related to lego as you might think, it's me talking about the drama my life has been since my sixth grade.
Henri da Flipper
Henri da Flipper
Senior Colonel
Senior Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by JackDawson1010 4/21/2011, 10:53 am

Your life is very... interesting. My brother was also briefly into War Hammer, had a huge army of Space Marines and Orks, and forced me to play against him. Two years later I still don't know how to play (come to think of it, neither does he)
JackDawson1010
JackDawson1010
Guard
Guard

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lennonfan1010

Back to top Go down

Post by General Redwater 4/23/2011, 11:03 pm

I'm sorry that this is a late post, I haven't had time to read these. I must say, you had a great introduction to LEGO. Your parents were very supportive, something I didn't have. This was interesting to read, and I'm sorry about your grandfather.
-
Redwater
General Redwater
General Redwater
Veteran
Veteran

Back to top Go down

Post by Octan 4/24/2011, 3:34 am

General Redwater wrote:I'm sorry that this is a late post, I haven't had time to read these. I must say, you had a great introduction to LEGO. Your parents were very supportive, something I didn't have. This was interesting to read, and I'm sorry about your grandfather.
-
Redwater
I have, my parents were very supportive as they see it as something that will help me later in life... Like the fact I speak latin, Labor omnia vincit... Thanks for the sorry, but it has never hit me hard, as I never knew him. Classic Smile
Octan
Octan
Octan
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by JackDawson1010 4/24/2011, 11:40 am

I also lost my grand-father before I was born (a week before my mom found out she was going to have me) and while I wasn't named after him, he apparently had a big impact on me as well. My mom taught me how to read when I was younger then normal in his memory, and some of my latest MOCs are based off of something he loved- The Civil War. So we do have a lot in common Classic Smile
JackDawson1010
JackDawson1010
Guard
Guard

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lennonfan1010

Back to top Go down

Post by Henri da Flipper 4/24/2011, 12:19 pm

My grandad died a few weeks before I was born, they tried to get my mom to take some pills to calm herself down, but if she did she might have lost me.

Then again one of the reasons why I'm crazy is because she was always nervous by the time my brain started to develop(when I was inside her... I actually learnt how to make noises(by opening and closing my mouth, with air, still inside my mom, and I was a pre-scheduled birth)
Henri da Flipper
Henri da Flipper
Senior Colonel
Senior Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down