Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on how to create a 13x20 inch baseplate

3 posters

Go down

Advice on how to create a 13x20 inch baseplate Empty Advice on how to create a 13x20 inch baseplate

Post by dspguy 7/26/2011, 5:53 pm

Here is what I'm trying to do:

I have a piece of plywood and I want to affix lego baseplates to fit a ~13x22 inch area. Obviously, Lego doesn't make a baseplate that size. I was going to take two 10x10 baseplates and put them side by side and then take two more 10x10 baseplates, cut them to 3x10s and place them above the others to give a 13x20 inch area.

Not sure if anyone has done stuff like this before. My main questions are:

1) What kind of glue should I use to attach the baseplate to plywood? Even better, is there another way (not glue) to keep the baseplate attached to the plywood? At some point, this plywood would be upside down and I wouldn't want the baseplate to come detached.

2) Is there a recommended way to cut baseplates? Any recommended tools or good ways to keep the cut edges "not so rough" after the cut?

3) The baseplates should line up if I glue the 4 boards to the plywood while holding the plates together with bricks? Obviously this will not work if the plates don't line up. Any other ideas for that?

Thanks in advance for any input.
dspguy
dspguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Advice on how to create a 13x20 inch baseplate Empty Re: Advice on how to create a 13x20 inch baseplate

Post by Henri da Flipper 7/26/2011, 7:56 pm

I think most users here usually are purists and the most they venture out of regular pieces is buying brickarms, none of us are really used to "destroying" pieces.

My suggestion would be stacking up 1x10s and 2x10s instead of cutting pieces, less of a hassle.

I also insist on you making an intro topic, I find it weird giving tips to someone I don't know... :L
Henri da Flipper
Henri da Flipper
Senior Colonel
Senior Colonel

Back to top Go down

Advice on how to create a 13x20 inch baseplate Empty Re: Advice on how to create a 13x20 inch baseplate

Post by Octan 7/26/2011, 8:06 pm

dspguy wrote:
1) What kind of glue should I use to attach the baseplate to plywood? Even better, is there another way (not glue) to keep the baseplate attached to the plywood? At some point, this plywood would be upside down and I wouldn't want the baseplate to come detached.

2) Is there a recommended way to cut baseplates? Any recommended tools or good ways to keep the cut edges "not so rough" after the cut?

3) The baseplates should line up if I glue the 4 boards to the plywood while holding the plates together with bricks? Obviously this will not work if the plates don't line up. Any other ideas for that?

Thanks in advance for any input.
1. Possibly a resin or Elmers glue CLICK

Here you go http://brickplayer.com/blog/2008/05/27/cutting-lego-mosaic-base-plates/

3. Bricks must be placed over them for it to line up. When bricks are attached between the baseplates there is a few MM gap between the baseplates... If you are worried about your bricks, Five Below sells a bag of Megablocks (1.99 for 400) that could be used to hold them together.

Also can you please make a intro topic?

Octan
Octan
Octan
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dspguy 7/26/2011, 11:37 pm

My apologies for the lack of intro: http://www.thebrickhope.com/t572-dspguy-here#10870.

I see your points about not cutting the baseplate. What I'm making sort of requires it though. Well, it requires a custom-sized baseplate (whether that's made out of 1x10s or not.

I don't know if the 1x10 plan would work for me. Let me explain what I'm doing:

I'm building a table (out of wood, not legos :P). The top of the table comes off in two pieces, both 14 x 23 inches. Underneath the top of the table are two storage bins where legos will be stored. The "flip side" of those 14x23 pieces of the top are where the custom-sized baseplates would go.

The idea is that my kid(s) can use the baseplates to build stuff and then we can just flip over the baseplates when we need to and have a table.

The baseplates will constantly have pieces be put on and off. I'm concerned that DarkBeast's idea will lead to a few of those 1x10s coming detached from the glue in a few years of use. However, maybe I'm not understanding his plan.

I'll post a picture of the prototype table if it helps with any ideas. But, it really boils down to custom-sized baseplate on a piece of plywood.
dspguy
dspguy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Back to top Go down

Post by Henri da Flipper 7/26/2011, 11:44 pm

well then you can go retro, it might take some mor time but you can carve the lego knobs into the wooden piece, it'll be very hard work, but worth it.
Henri da Flipper
Henri da Flipper
Senior Colonel
Senior Colonel

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum